Tuesday 1 May 2012

The JET Opportunity: Part II

Ok, so where was I... oh yes, I remember... I was going to tell you why I consider the JET opportunity to be such a great opportunity for me.

As for my Work: The Present (or at least the near future)

Over the last few years I've been wondering about what I could do to increase the level of satisfaction I was getting from my work. I have known that I've wanted to do something with more of a social benefit, something that would make a difference to people's lives, and something that would allow me to invest in relationships. 

Teaching seems to fit all these criteria, but in order for me to even attempt such a thing, I would need to do a one year bridging course to sidegrade my bachelors in commerce to some kind of teaching diploma. So by being a member of the JET programme I get to benefit from this opportunity that will facilitate me tasting what it would be like to be a teacher for real, without having to invest a year studying, and while earning substantially more than the average South African teacher... Ok, to be honest I don't really know how much teachers earn, but I think JET pays better.

As for my Wife

If my wife is also accepted as a JET participant, then we'll have two JET salaries, which means that we'll really be able to live comfortably in Japan, and hopefully make good progress in beating back our mortgage. This would also serve to close the financial opportunity cost incurred by leaving my career. In addition to this, if my wife is accepted, she would also be happier on a personal level, as she has always found it to be very rewarding to teach, and I suspect even more so if she gets to work with "little people". The responsibility and routine of teaching would also act as an emotional anchor for her; and the financial independence would empower her, as thus far she has been an employee, or even a slave, to her doctorate degree.

As for Japan...

So why Japan you may ask... and many people have (which I've found quite surprising).

As mentioned in my original post, going to Japan has always been a dream. To find that elusive something that I'll remember when I discover it for the first time.

If this is too airy-fairy or wishy-washy for you (and really, if I was reading this instead of writing it, I wouldn't be at all satisfied with that poor excuse for a reason), then I'll provide you with some more concrete description of what I'm hoping for from this adventure.

As for Japan: Nature

I believe that Japan has a lot to offer in terms of natural beauty. We've asked to be placed among mountains. Forests are a given I'm sure. And then there's snow, something that our country has, but very few people get to enjoy it, and there's never enough for the purposes of skiiing. It would blow my mind to wake up in a winter wonderland, with the doodles of Jack Frost graffiti'ed upon my window panes. Despite being of Caucasian descent, this could be my first real white Christmas. (Di dum dish! Enter the first bad race related pun. Yes, South Africans go there, cautiously and with respect, and let's be honest, if it's going to be done, don't you want it to be done by someone with experience walking this little tight-rope?)

<ahem>... where was I? Oh yes, why Japan?

As for Japan: The Language 

In addition to the aforementioned, I love languages, in fact, just this year I've invested time to learn 2. The first being Latin (it's a long story), and Japanese for the obvious reason that it'll be very useful to me when I live in Japan. This Japanese interest of mine is something I'm hoping to bring into my future after Japan, somehow as well. I haven't quite connected the dots just yet, but life has taught me that if you get good enough at something, then opportunities will find you. Also I'm hoping, and here the more enlighten will probably correct me, but I think there's some not insignificant overlap between the kanji used in Japan and that used in China. Chinese is another language I hope to develop some proficiency in before I throw off this mortal coil. In this sense, it may be beneficial for me to pursue the reading of Japanese, as it may simplify my acquisition of Chinese in the future.

As for Japan: Culture

Finally, I'm hoping that by spending some time in Japan, I'll have the opportunity to absorb some of the culture. 

In particular, I would love to assimilate that part of their culture that tries to make even the most mundane and gloryless task into an expression of art. I really and sincerely mean this.

The other thing I like about Japan is that the culture is relatively collectivist, meaning that there is a cultural emphasis on the collective, rather than only on the individual. I know that South African's are supposed to have the whole Ubuntu thing going on, but I just don't see it. Perhaps this is also my own fault, but I'm hoping to be inspired by the relatively collectivist attitude of the Japanese.

As for Japan: The Challenge

Despite being demographically a minority in South Africa, the weight of wealth concentrated in my demographic is such that I never have to speak any language other than English. So in going to Japan, I hope that I will be forced to be the consumer of peoples tolerance. I know it will be difficult on all kinds of levels, but as I expressed to someone earlier this week, only in triumph over adversity can one demonstrate their own strength. For my wife and I, this is part of a trial aimed at sharpening us as individuals; a rite of passage.

Oh my god! It's after twelve... that means I'm about to turn into a pumpk...

2 comments:

  1. Your reasons for wanting to go to Japan is well expressed. I feel almost ashamed to admit that my own reasons are selfish.

    Firstly, I want to go in order to fall in love with a place so fantastically foreign and far far away.

    Secondly, because I know Japan will give me poetry.

    I do hope your wife gets upgraded. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Me - Girl

      Thank you for your kind words.

      Love in whatever form, is never a bad reason to do something; and poetry, as an expression of art, is always a gift, even if it's a gift to the void.

      I hope you get upgraded too. :D

      Delete