Monday 9 July 2012

Day -18: !@#$'s Getting Real

Today I sold my car.

Yesterday afternoon I met with a prospective buying in Somerset West, a town close to Cape Town. After introducing the car, the buyer and I agreed on a price and that was that. Super-simple.

But my wife and I drove home with an air of silence as the magnitude of the decisions we've made suddenly seemed so much more tangible. 

We drove home, knowing that there was a pretty good chance that would be the last time that we would be making that trip by car before leaving for Japan.

Even driving around running errands this morning, I knew that if I used that road again, it would probably be with public transport, and I wouldn't have the luxury of just being able to stop and take a photo of a beautiful sunset, or of the mist rolling in.

During the ride home, I think I even heard my wife say, "Shit's getting real." And it is... with less than 20 days to go, shit is getting real.

The buyer made good on their word, and the trade was made. The little car that has served me so faithfully over the last seven years is now in someone else's grubby paws.

I know it's just a material possession, but it certainly feels like our material possessions get imprinted with the memories we make in their presence.

No comments:

Post a Comment